HOW TO PARTY
"Dear Diana, please could you do a post about Nightlife? I've just turned 18, and I don't know where to start. I would love to learn about it all. You are my inspiration. Love, Elizabeth x"
Hi Elizabeth. Happy Birthday!!
Oh don't take me as a role model! That's a bad idea. Don't take anybody.
I love the night, going out, parties...It's just about having fun. I don't know how to structure this- I have a few scattered thoughts/advice, so I'll bullet point
- People lie about everything. The party scene is all pretense, it's all a big lie. It's fun, but you have to take it for what it is. Watch out and be safe.
- Don't follow what anyone else does, do whatever feels good to you. People are going to want to make you smoke, take drugs, have sex...Think for yourself and do what you want, not what other people want you to do. Nobody is going to make fun of a person who has clear ideas on what they want. You have to trust me on that.
- Think outside the club box: dinners, shows, private parties, exhibitions, concerts..it's a huge part of nightlife that's a lot more interesting (for me). And don't be afraid to hop around a few places. You don't need to stay in one place the whole night. And if you're bored just leave
- Nightclubs need girls in them. They shouldn't really make you pay... Look for a promoter that can get you on guestlists. It depends on the city though. If you're in London just email me and I'll send you a list of people
- Dance like nobody's watching because nobody cares!
- Drink a glass of water for every glass of alcohol. Alcohol is very dehydrating. And know when to stop. You should never feel bad. Remember to eat, too. Every three hours as normal. People forget that time goes by when they're out...It's not any different to the rest of the day, you still need nourishing every couple of hours. All the people I know who party a lot- we always stop for a midnight dinner, or two. And drink water all the time. Or have fruit. Otherwise we'd permanently feel awful.
- Also remember that cocktails and soda mixes have a LOT of sugar. It's not the best thing to drink straight on for 8 hours. Try sugar-less drinks like vodka lime.
- Going out with (good) guy friends is great cause they'll take care of you and you won't get bothered by other guys
- It's worth investing in shoes that are comfortable to walk around and dance in. You can wear them every day. I always wear the same shoes. I'd rather have one good pair, than 10 not-so-good ones.
- Clothing needs to be comfy otherwise you won't have any fun. Something you can move in, and that won't fall down, and that makes you feel amaaazing. I like wearing patterned blouses with short jersey skirts most of the time myself. Or a little dress. Skinny jeans and a good blouse..
If anyone else has any advice for Elizabeth, please do comment below